Published: 12 May 2016


The bond is equal to two weeks' rent. You pay it before you move in. The Ministry of Building, Innovation and Employment (external link) holds it and returns it to you if your home is in good condition as long as there's no money owing when you leave.



If you pay an income-related rent, the Ministry of Social Development will review your rent annually around the anniversary of your move-in date.

Once your rent has been reviewed, MSD will write to you to let you know if it is changing and what those changes will be.

MSD will then send you a form to fill out about four months before your rent is due to change.

If you don't want to apply for income-related rent, or your income is over the threshold, we may charge the market rent for the property.

Remember to let us know immediately if your circumstances change

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now