Housing New Zealand is investing $48.5 million to build 145 new social housing units across five sites in Wellington City.
This is a significant building programme that will drive a transformation of Housing New Zealand’s Wellington housing stock, creating a portfolio of modern and fit-for-purpose homes that our tenants will enjoy for decades to come.
The buildings previously on each site were no longer fit-for-purpose for a number of reasons, including earthquake safety and weathertightness issues.
All the new homes will be one-bedroom units. These are the exactly the kind of homes needed in Wellington to respond to social housing demand, which is mostly from single people and couples without children.
Work has already started on some of the new units, and the first new homes are expected to be ready by June 2018.
Hanson Street, Mt Cook
- 20 one-bedroom units for people with disabilities
- Located near to the hospital, social service agencies, shopping and public transport
- Expected completion July 2018
Britomart Street, Berhampore
- 34 one-bedroom apartment-style units
- Focused around a shared communal space and designed to maximise exposure to the sun
- Expected completion June 2018
Owen Street, Newtown
- 36 one-bedroom units
- Energy efficient and designed to blend into its surroundings
- Expected completion October 2018
Phillip and Frankmoore, Johnsonville
- 21 one-bedroom units suitable for older/mature persons
- Close walking distance to amenities and public transport
- Expected completion September 2018
McLean Flats, CBD
- 34 one-bedroom homes
- Combination of refurbishment and redevelopment
- Expected completion TBC