Housing New Zealand working with KiwiSaver

Published: 1 August 2016

The KiwiSaver HomeStart grant is administered by Housing New Zealand. However, the KiwiSaver first-home withdrawal is administered by your KiwiSaver scheme provider.

Housing New Zealand’s only role in the first-home withdrawal is to assess the financial position of previous home owners in order to determine their eligibility. If you are a previous home owner, you will need to complete an application and submit it to Housing New Zealand. We will then assess your application to determine whether you are in the same financial position as a first home buyer, in terms of the level of realisable assets that you have.

If you are buying your first home and want to withdraw your KiwiSaver contributions, there is no need to apply to Housing New Zealand. All you need to do is apply directly to your KiwiSaver scheme provider for the first-home withdrawal.

We recommend that, before you apply for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant or a first-home withdrawal, you re-familiarise yourself with KiwiSaver.

It would be helpful to check what type of scheme you belong to, who your scheme provider is, how long you have been contributing to the scheme and how much you have been contributing. This will help with your application for a HomeStart grant and first-home withdrawal.

Members of complying funds and exempt employer schemes may also be eligible for the HomeStart grant.

You can talk to your employer, check any statements you may have received from your provider, or talk to Inland Revenue on 0800 549 472.

If you are not a member of KiwiSaver and would like to join, either call 0800 549 472 or visit www.KiwiSaver.govt.nz(external link) or go to www.sorted.org.nz(external link) for further information on KiwiSaver.

Your browser is out-of-date!

Update your browser to view this website correctly. Update my browser now