Housing New Zealand Corporation is a Crown agent that provides housing services for people in need.
Building lives and communities by housing New Zealanders.
He pukenga wai, he nōhanga tāngata; he nōhanga tāngata, he putanga kōrero.
What we do
We focus on the efficient and effective management of state houses and the tenancies of those living in them, in order to meet demand from MSD’s social housing register.
We own or manage around 64,000 properties nationwide, including about 1,500 houses for community groups providing residential services. More than 185,000 people live in our houses or flats. It isn’t just about getting a roof over people’s heads - we also work closely with others to ensure our tenants have access to good support services.
In addition to being a social housing provider, we also offer several affordable housing products – such as the KiwiSaver HomeStart grant, Welcome Home Loan, Tenant Home Ownership and FirstHome scheme – that make it easier for people to buy their own homes.
Our Customer Services Centre (freephone 0800 801 601) provides national coverage for all enquiries Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm. They also provide 24/7 support for urgent calls. Our trained housing advisors provide a range of services and can answer most questions on the spot.
Our Customer Services Centre can help with:
- getting a state house or flat repaired
- checking a tenant’s account
- lodging complaints and providing feedback
- answering questions about damage and rental debts and credits
- getting in touch with organisations which can help a tenant with other issues.
If you need to get in contact with our Customer Service Centre please use our Feedback page.
The rest of our frontline staff operate from a combination of local Housing New Zealand offices and shared space offices located in facilities provided by other organisations, such as Work and Income (external link) .
Specialist teams deal with issues such as debt and Tenancy Tribunal matters.
We work alongside a wide variety of community, government and private sector organisations that provide social housing and other services to tenants. These include:
- Ministry of Social Development (external link) (MSD), which manages all applications for social housing, assesses housing need, administers income-related rents for social housing tenants, delivers other social services, and provides accommodation support to people in need living in the private sector
- Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (external link) (MBIE), which has responsibility for building and housing policy in New Zealand and provides funding to stimulate the growth of other social housing providers
- Ministry of Health (external link) and district health boards which provide health services to our tenants
- Police (external link) and local councils (external link) to promote safer communities in areas where we have a large presence, and to develop communities that we support.
As the biggest residential property owner in New Zealand, our relationships extend across the public and private sectors, and our operations provide employment and commercial opportunities to many people and businesses.