Like most landlords, Housing New Zealand does not allow dogs in its properties, apart from where there are exceptional circumstances – for example, if you have a certified hearing or sight dog.
If we allow you to keep a support dog, you will need to sign an agreement showing that:
- the dog is registered
- the dog is kept within the property
- you take responsibility for the dog and ensure it doesn't disturb neighbours
- you will comply with all the legal obligations of a dog owner
- you will make sure the dog is tied up when we or our contractors visit
- you will have the dog removed if it becomes a nuisance or is dangerous
- you agree to remedy or pay for any damage to the home or grounds caused by the animal.
If you live in a Housing New Zealand home or flat you can keep other pets so long as you have checked with us and we've said yes.
If a pet that has been approved is a persistent nuisance or hazard we may cancel our agreement. In extreme cases, we can have pets removed from a tenant's property at their expense, or we can seek to end their tenancy.