The Government has announced some changes to its building programme to help support more people into home ownership. This includes changes from 1 October 2019 to the HomeStart Grant / Welcome Home Loan.
Read the announcement on the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development's website(external link).
If you're a first-time home buyer, or a previous home owner and you've been making regular KiwiSaver contributions for 3 - 5 years, you may be eligible for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant of up to $10,000. You apply for the grant through Housing New Zealand.
How it works
You can apply for either:
- a pre-approval before you start looking for a property to buy – this gives you certainty around eligiblity and how much you may qualify for or;
- a grant approval if you've found a property and have a signed sale and purchase agreement.
If you buy an existing home
If you buy an existing home, you can get $1,000 for each of the 3 (or more) years you've paid into the scheme. The most you can get is $5,000 for 5 or more years.
If you buy a new home or land
If you buy a new home or land to build on, you can get $2,000 for each of the 3 (or more) years you've paid into the scheme. The most you can get is $10,000 for 5 or more years.
If you buy a property with other people
If you buy a property with other people who also qualify for a KiwiSaver HomeStart grant, the most you can all get when combining grants, for one property is:
- $10,000 for an existing property
- $20,000 if you buy a new home or land for a new home.
If you have questions before you apply, you can:
- phone us on 0508 935 266
- email us at email@example.com.